While spring and fall are great times of the year to keep your fur babies outside, summer and winter are not. Let’s discuss some of the basics of what you can do to keep your pets cool, safe and happy this summer.
- Never leave your dog in the car. Ever.
- Always make sure they have unlimited access to fresh water.
- When they are outside, make sure they have access to shade.
- Walk them during the cool hours of the day.
- When you take them for a walk, try to keep them off hot surfaces (such as asphalt) because it can burn their paws.
- If you think it’s hot, it’s even hotter for them. Make sure they have a way to cool off.
- Keep them free of fleas and ticks. Consult your veterinarian for which product is best. We have a few local, veterinarians in our advertisers directory.
- If your dog has thick hair, considering have them shaved, or a summer haircut. For thinner haired dogs, apply sunscreen so that they don’t get sunburned (yes, dogs get sunburned, too)
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s talk about some little known treats that dogs CAN have to help them cool off.
- Fully cooked eggs
- Plain yogurt
Things they CAN’T have:
- Garlic, leeks, onions and chive -the whole family is a NO
- Ice cream
If you want to be adventurous and make homemade dog treats, send us the recipe and reviews! Good things should be shared.