The Canton Police Department provided us with these useful tips regarding fireworks safety – an important reminder this time of year since many of us ring in the New Year with fireworks.
To keep your holiday happy, make sure you use fireworks safely, responsibly and within the confines of state law and the City of Canton ordinance, which states that the cut off time for fireworks on Jan. 1 is 1 a.m. This ordinance is in place to preserve the peace for city residents in the early morning hours. Each New Year, Canton Police Department responds to numerous noise violation calls because of people shooting off fireworks well past the cut off time of 1 a.m.
Have a good time ringing in the New Year, but make sure you avoid injuries or property damage in the process – especially with the current dry climate that we have experienced – with these tips:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities.
- Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- Report illegal explosives (like M-80s and quarter sticks) to the police department.
Leave a Reply