The change in seasons brings new adventures, which is a great time to pick up good, positive habits. As we prepare to revel in the beauty of the fall colors, this season is the perfect opportunity to reevaluate and revamp your oral health care routine. Get ready to fall in love with your smile! Healthy dental habits start at home and continue with regular dental visits.
Preventive dental care is the best way to have a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile for years to come. Routine dental appointments are crucial for establishing positive oral care habits and assessing your risk for oral disease and cancer. Preventive dental procedures include exams, cleanings, scalings, fluoride treatments and X-rays. When you visit your dentist for preventive care, you also have the opportunity to ask questions, discuss concerns you may have and learn about treatments that can benefit your teeth.
September also is National Gum Care Month, a great time to brush up on gum disease prevention. The health of your gums is just as important as the health of your pearly whites. Here are five ways to safeguard your smile:
- Brush your teeth twice a day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to remove bacteria and debris between teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing contact sports.
- Enjoy superfoods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Clean/scrape your tongue.
Developing positive dental habits sets you up for a lifetime of dental success. Following continued healthy habits reduces your risk of cavities, gum disease and other health ailments. Taking great care of your mouth can transform the way you feel about your smile and boost your confidence. When preventive dental care is maintained, there is less need for repairs, and the health of teeth and gums is protected. Contact your dental provider to schedule a preventive dental checkup.
– Dr. Scott Merritt founded BridgeMill Dentistry in 2002. The office is located on Sixes Road between Ridge and Bells Ferry roads.