For a few years the buildings at the corner of Bells Ferry Road and Wyngate Parkway sat vacant. The largest space was going to be a Food Lion that would open in the summer of 2010, but the plans were halted with the downswing of the economy.
The once empty building has come to life with its new tenant, the 50th location of Goodwill of North Georgia. The bright and colorful grand opening on Aug. 28 welcomed eager shoppers. The parking lot was full of vehicles and the store filled with shoppers who were anticipating new treasures.
Customers entered through an archway of blue, orange, and white balloons and were greeted by a Goodwill employee. The same color scheme of balloons, tied to the ends of clothing racks and shelves, added cheer throughout the store. In celebration of the grand opening, gift certificates were raffled off hourly for the first three days, a treat for those first shoppers.
Goodwill Industries International, which opened in 1902, provides quite a bit of community support. According to the Goodwill of North Georgia website, “Goodwill of North Georgia provides job training and employment services to people who are having trouble finding work, want to change careers, or start their own business. With the agency’s support, Goodwill participants overcome employment hurdles caused by physical, emotional and developmental disabilities, limited job skills, poverty and other challenges. We sell donated clothing, books, furniture and household goods in stores across North Georgia and the proceeds help fund our mission of putting people to work.”
If you are interested in donating, or finding out more information about how to get involved with Goodwill of North Georgia, visit the Goodwill of North Georgia site. Follow them on Facebook for up-to-date specials at the area Goodwill stores.
Leave a Reply