Was one of your New Year’s resolutions tackling a dreaded home improvement project? If so, and your project includes interior painting, choosing the perfect finish is key to making that project pop!
The Type of Project
While nearly every finish can be used in any area of your home, this guide will help you find the sheen that is best suited for your interior painting. Whatever the project, here are some tips for picking your paint finish:
- Flat, or matte: This is a low-sheen type of paint that offers an easy to clean, non-reflective appearance. It is perfect for low traffic areas and ceilings. Flat finish paints hide flaws because they do not reflect sunlight. They are perfect for low to moderate traffic areas and will provide you with a smooth, elegant finish.
- Eggshell, or low luster: Eggshell gets its name because of the light sheen it gives to surfaces (much like the soft appearance you see on the surface of an egg). Eggshell finishes are great at resisting dirt and mildew, and are easy to clean. They are wonderful choices for high traffic areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. They also can withstand a great deal of cleaning and scrubbing.
- Satin: If you want a elegant, pearl-like sheen on your walls or projects, satin finishes will do it. They are great for high traffic areas or areas that have some exposure to moisture, again, like kitchens and bathrooms.
- Semi-gloss: For a sleek, radiant sheen that looks great on your cabinets and trim, try a semi-gloss. It also works well in high traffic and high moisture areas.
- Hi-gloss: A gloss finish is great if you prefer a shiny finish (almost as if you were looking at glass). It’s perfect for any surface that gets a lot of use.
We hope these simple tips regarding types of paint will help you with your home improvement projects!