Summer is in full swing, and so is the Georgia heat. If there is a point in the middle of July when you don’t want to go outside anymore, you are not alone! Luckily, there is plenty you can do indoors, and justserve.org has you covered. To get started, check out these opportunities for kids and adults:
- Crochet for babies (bit.ly/3IFsFWB). Put your crafting skills to work with this Northside Hospital Foundation opportunity. Create blankets or special graduation hats from the comfort of home for the adorable guests at Northside’s Special Care Nurseries.
- Offer remote assistance for travelers (bit.ly/3q8kaOa). Team Libertad aims to support immigrants and refugees passing through the Atlanta airport on their way to the homes of friends and family. As a remote volunteer, you can choose afternoon or evening shifts to be on call. You may assist with online check-ins, travel arrangements, communication with families, or guiding guests through the airport via Whatsapp or video calling. This opportunity is great if you have travel experience or foreign language skills.
- Be a Zooniverse researcher (bit.ly/3pYgL4f). Join a global community of more than a million people assisting professional researchers. By classifying data and uncovering new findings, you can contribute to research that wouldn’t be possible otherwise. You can contribute as much or as little time as you’d like.
- Be a Smithsonian volunteer (bit.ly/3J4eH1I). Join thousands of digital volunteers in transcribing and reviewing field notes, diaries, ledgers, logbooks, currency proof sheets, photo albums, manuscripts and biodiversity specimens’ labels. Since June 2013, this collaborative effort has added to more than 500,000 pages of valuable historical and scientific records. Perfect for nature and history enthusiasts.
Be sure to check out these great opportunities — and more! — on the JustServe website. Or, for additional ideas, join the JustServe Georgia Volunteers public Facebook group. It never has been easier to make a difference in someone’s life.
Justserve.org is a free, nationwide website and app that works to match volunteers with nonprofit organizations and service opportunities. If you run a nonprofit, or are looking for ways to make service a regular part of your life, check out justserve.org. You can sign up for regular updates and learn more about organizations nearby, too. JustServe makes it easy just to go out and serve!
– Susannah MacKay is a local JustServe specialist. She grew up in Marietta and loves helping strengthen her community through service! Follow her on Facebook